Let’s find out the recipe for one of the most popular spoon desserts in the world: the Catalan cream, originally from Catalonia and here in its Licorice version. A very soft and creamy dessert flavored with lemon and covered with a thin and crunchy layer of caramelized sugar.
Francesca Laruffa reveals her secret to make it irresistible with the addition of Amarelli Liquorice Powder.
- 500g Milk
- 4 yolks
- 100g Sugar
- 1 Lemons
- 1 tablespoon of Licorice Powder
- 25g Corn starch (cornstarch)
- A few tablespoons of brown sugar
- Heat the milk to a boil together with the lemon peel
- Once it has boiled, filter the milk, removing the skins
- Put the milk on the stove, heat it up to a boil from the egg
- Add the whipped egg yolks for 5 minutes with the sugar to which you have finally added the corn starch and licorice powder (sifted)
- Turn with a hand whisk gently until it solidifies into cream
- Pour into cups and bake in a preheated oven at 180º for 15 minutes.
- Let it cool and put in the fridge for at least 4/5 hours.
- Before serving, add the brown sugar to the surface
- With a torch, burn the surface to caramelize the sugar. It will form a crunchy and delicious caramelized crust.
Buy Licorice Powder on the Amarelli online shop